Denial of Assistance
Can the Omaha Housing Authority deny/terminate my Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher assistance?
Yes, the Omaha Housing Authority may deny/terminate your Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher assistance.
For what reasons may OHA deny/terminate rental assistance?
OHA may deny/terminate rental assistance for the following reasons:
- Violation of any of the Section 8 Program Family Obligations which includes serious or repeated violations of your lease.
- Previous eviction from public housing
- Drug related or violent criminal activity
- Fraud, bribery, or criminal activity in connection with any federal housing assistance program
- Outstanding unpaid rent, vacancy loss, other debts or any other money due any Housing Authority
- Breach of an agreement by the family to repay the Housing Authority for any money due the Housing Authority
- Failure to sign and submit forms to document Section 8 Program eligibility
- Abusive, violent behavior or threats toward OHA personnel
What are the Section 8 Program Family Obligations and where are they listed?
The Section 8 Family Obligations are OHA and HUD rules for continuing participation in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. You are required to read and sign an acknowledgement that you understand the Family Obligations when you begin participation in the program.
Is there any way that I can challenge the denial/termination of my Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher?
Yes, you have the right to a hearing to present facts to support why your Section 8 should not be denied/terminated.
If I am denied/terminated from the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, can I reapply?
Yes, you can reapply for the Section 8 Program. People denied a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher can reapply when the list opens. People terminated from the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program are required to wait six months before reapplying.
Chapter 12 of the Administrative Plan details Termination of Assistance and Tenancy. Chapter 3 of the Administrative Plan details Eligibility (Denials). Please click on the Administrative Plan link to review the chapter in detail.