These properties offer affordable rent for households that are low to moderate income. Affordable housing communities are owned by Housing in Omaha (HIO), a subsidiary of Omaha Housing Authority. Most properties participate in the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Program. Properties are not limited to those who have a Section 8 voucher, but Section 8 vouchers are welcome.
Take the First Step in Applying for Your New Home!
Applications are accepted digitally, in-person or via postal mail.
To complete a digital application, click here to submit a request [link submission request]. A copy of the application and forms will be emailed to you.
To print a copy to bring in or mail, download and complete the LIHTC Application.
Computer access and assistance with completing applications is available Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at our Central Office, located at: 1823 Harney Street, Omaha, NE 68102
*When completing the application, you will need a current, government issued Photo ID for all household members 18 years and older
**Additional documentation will be needed to complete the application and is helpful to submit when first applying including: birth certificates for any minors under 18 years of age; and social security cards for all family members listed on the application.
Eligibility Criteria for Affordable Housing
In order to be eligible for the housing, an applicant must meet certain requirements, including but not limited to those listed below. These criteria are evaluated at the time of the application.
- Citizen and/or Eligible Non-Citizen: One member of the household must be a citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Income Requirements: The applicant/household must have an annual income that does not exceed applicable income limits (listed below)..
- Minimum Income Requirements: Applicants must have an income that is 3x the monthly rent. Does not apply to applicants who have a Section 8 voucher.
- Student Status: Additional requirements apply if the head of household and all other family members are a full-time student
- Previous Outstanding Debt to OHA: The applicant/household must not owe uncollected rent or miscellaneous charges administered by OHA.
*Updated April 2022
|# Persons in Family||Tax Credit (LIHTC) – Affordable Housing|
*call for information on income limits for households larger than 8 and income limits
Frequently Asked Questions
- You will receive notification when your application is received.
- You will also receive an email requesting additional paperwork. Please be sure you have access to all the following documents to ensure your application is processed timely:
- Social Security Cards for all family members (if not already provided)
- Birth certificates for all family members 17 years and younger (if not already provided)
- Information on Source(s) of Income, Assets and Allowances
- You will be notified once your application is approved. If no apartments are immediately available, you may be placed on a waiting list.
At any time in the application process or after you are placed on the waiting list, remember to notify OHA in writing of any change to your household, including any change of address, email address or phone number.