HUD VASH Program

The Omaha Housing Authority (OHA) currently administers the HUD VASH program.

The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program combines Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers (VAMCs) and community-based outreach clinics.

If you are a homeless veteran interested in learning more about this program, and to determine your eligibility, you may call the Department of Veteran’s Affairs at 402-977-4444.

The VA must pre-screen your eligibility and refer you to OHA. Acceptance by the OHA will be determined only if a referral is received from the VA, if vouchers are available and you meet other screening and eligibility requirements as required by the OHA.

If you are a current HUD VASH voucher participant and want to port your voucher to the jurisdiction of Douglas County, you must initiate the port process with your VA Social Worker in your current jurisdiction. A referral will be required, and acceptance will be based on the availability of vouchers and other eligibility requirements. Housing Authorities should not send HUD VASH portability documents directly to the OHA, without first verifying that the Omaha VA will refer the veteran